• kevin_stafford_kbcs_52_1

The Black Hole glaze looked strange and unfamiliar when I opened the kiln door. It was overwhelming to see all the vases packed so closely together. A cacophony for the eyes instead of the ears. I began to appreciate the individual character of each vase more as I photographed them.

I did something with this batch I should have been doing all along. The glaze under the foot is the same as the glaze under the top coat. Easier to tell what’s what without having to consult notes.

I increased the amount of stain in many of the coloured glazes underneath to make the effect more dramatic.

I kept the black stain very low and added a little orange to give the Black Hole glaze its colour. The fired result looks gold bronze over some of the colours where it retreats from the polymer grains. With the low percentage of stain it is slightly transparent.

I used a higher proportion of polymer additive in this batch of Black Hole. The unfired glaze was more dense with the polymer grains than last time changing the look of the surface after firing.

I finished glazing these vases wishing I had more so that I could see this same range of colours with the white top coat. I have decided to begin the new year by making a couple new moulds for larger vase forms. I will be keeping them simple. They will be all about the glaze. Hope to have something to show in this regard by next week.