Steel Blue Chapel Egg. Russian Imperial Glassworks. Period of Nicholas II. 1894 to 1917.
Blown glass with grinding, polishing, cutting and gilding.
This egg depicts the Imperial Chapel at Peterhof Palace outside St. Petersburg. This is the church where royal children were baptized, including the four daughters and one son of Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra.
8.6 cm in height.
Peterhof Palace and its grounds were built under the orders of Peter the Great and added to by subsequent Tsars of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It was heavily damaged in WWII but has since undergone extensive restoration. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.